|Behind the 8-Ball. David Hayes, 2012|
i365 project, 115/365. (Type Play, Phoster, Iris, Scratchcam, Snapseed, FX Photo Studio)
This image turned out to be one of the most ambitious that I've attempted involving 6 major steps (and adjustments within each step) and many layers. There are two separate images blended together to create "Behind the 8-Ball" with each of these images involving about half of the steps and layers just mentioned. I learned a lot about layering and blending with the apps involved and while I am thrilled with the final results, I realized afterwards that I did it the hard way. Live and learn! In any case, I'm going to try to show you how I did this...step by step. I'm sure you'll see easier ways to do a certain step...so if you decide to follow my recipe feel free to do it that way!!
Knowing that I wanted to work with the number 8, I started in Type Play where I created a black field with a bold "8" in the center. There didn't seem to be an easy way to do this in circle to create my 8-ball in this app, so I saved this step and moved to the Phoster app.
In Phoster, I chose the "Gravity" template, inserted the number "8" from Step 1 into the circle window and deleted the type field at the bottom of the template. I then finished this off using the Dust 2 filter that is included in Phoster. Now I had the base layer I needed to get started. I saved this step and moved to Iris to start my blending!
Once I reopened this image in Iris, the first thing I did was crop the image square and did a bit of resizing. This was to be my base layer (Layer 1). I then reopened, still in Iris, the Phoster image, cropped it and flipped it to get the number "8" to face the other way. This was my blending layer (Layer 2). It was time to blend Layer 1 with Layer 2...and it was here that my learning curve really showed as it took me what seemed forever to get it right! What I eventually settled on was a blend at Normal @ 82% using a mask to bring the smaller number "8" more to the foreground. I did a little Auto Adjust and Auto Levels to help smooth everything out. I saved this and got ready for Step 4!
I wanted to grunge this up a bit and wasn't happy with the options given to me in Iris, so I moved the image over to one of the kings of grunge, Scratchcam! Here I played around with the different options until I was happy. (I do wish they'd name or at least number their filters...it would make talking about this so much easier!) I saved this and since it was getting very late and my eyes had blurred over, I stopped until the next day. Oh....this is Base 1.
With Step 4 I had finished the first image that I was going to use. Now it was time to move onto creating the second image. To begin this process, I took a snap of a mixed media collage background that I created sometime ago. I brought this pic into Snapseed where I cropped it square and applied the "Vivid" filter. I saved this...then reopened it in FX Photo Studio and applied the "Vintage" filter. (I'm not so sure why I did this...but I did!) Saved this as my final image...and this will be Base 2.
Okay...time to put it all together! Reopening Iris, I first brought in Base 2 and made it the Base Image for blending purposes. I then opened Base 1 and after a couple of try-outs, I settled on blending the Base 2 and Base 1 using Overlay @ 100@ with a mask to make that I didn't lose the 8-balls. Unfortunately I lost some of the red that you see on the right side (see Step 5)....so I saved and reopened in FX Photo Studio where I applied the "Red Lense" filter with a mask to bring back the red. But...and there is always this...the red was too much!!! Here I used Snapseed and its Selective Adjustment filter to tone down the red areas a bit. Finally...I was done!! Saved this...and went for a glass of wine...