|50,000 feet, David Hayes, 2011(mixed media, 9x12)|
I thought I'd like to spotlight a couple of mixed media pieces that I just finished...well actually these have been finished for about a week...but it was only today that I got around to photograph them! Both these pieces will eventually end up in my Etsy shop...I need to live with them a bit before I can sell them...
"50,000 feet" was one that I did for submission to the Cloth, Paper, Scissors Artisan 2012 competition...so some of you might have seen this before. However...I didn't get much in the way of good feedback on this piece and my wife, who is my go-to-critic, told me she thought it was too sick-green! Now that's a killer comment if I've ever heard one!! So...I didn't submitted it, but instead put it aside for awhile. I eventually repainted it with a green that was more to her liking...so here it is!
This is a mixed media piece where I glued down bits and pieces of an old computer to a hardboard panel that was first coated with gesso then painted copper. The square, corroded sections are copper sheets that I applied an "aging" compound...and then I discovered if I put pieces of aluminum pan on them, the aluminum would dissolve and adhere to the copper...really cool! The next pic is a close up of these sections.
Now I will have to admit that my accidental discovery wasn't at all planned....I had put the copper sections into one of those disposable aluminum baking pans and covered the sections with the aging solution. I forgot about them for a day...and when I came back I found that the solution had dried up but not before dissolve the entire bottom of the pan! What was left behind was what you see above. Fortunately this happened on my messy work table...which gained more "character" from all of this!!
|Air Mail, David Hayes, 2011(mixed media, 9x12)|
"Air Mail" was another piece that I started for the CPS submission, but it wasn't going anywhere fast...so I set it aside until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it. I knew I wanted to work with the photo of the airplane you see in the center left...this was a pic I shot using my iPhone4 at the Dayton Air Force Museum...and used one of my apps to alter it. (And...I forget which one!) The trouble was I didn't know where to go from there! Finally, it all started to fall into place.
The panel it's all build on is another hardboard to which I glued an old printing plate. I "distressed" the plate using various Ranger alcohol inks...then applied the "Battery Location" layer using a gel transfer. (Yes, this was from another photo I took at the museum...). Using a bit of foam core, I glued down some more of the printing plate, distressed it as before then glued a print of the plane to it. The clock is from a photo taken from an old pocket watch that was my grandfather's railroad watch...the stamp is one I had. The frame is 1x2" molding that I cut and painted before gluing it down. And there it was! Here's a close up shot of this piece:
Like, "50,000 feet", this piece will eventually end up in my Etsy shop as well. (With anything I complete, I like to live with them for awhile before finding new homes!)
It's the Labor Day Weekend...funny how summer always goes so quickly! We're in for a couple days of super hot weather, but Monday promises to be delightful! I hope everyone can enjoy this weekend!!