I have always had a fascination with assemblage dolls...and have created a bunch using whatever was at hand. Back in March, I posted an entry where I introduced my "family" of dolls...you can read this post here and meet the family!
It has been awhile since I created a new member...although I had some ideas in the back of my mind that the next one had to be a dog. After all, every family needs a pet! So when "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" magazine recently posted a challenge to create a Wild Wire piece, I jumped at the chance. And so..."Hot" came into being!! I had so much fun making him, that I wanted to share on how he was made.
The first step is always locating the parts to make my assemblages. I try to use what I have in my "stashes" but sometimes I have to actually buy something new! In this case, I knew I wanted to try my hand at soldering wire...after reading the "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" article on this...so I just had to buy a soldering iron and solder...the things I do for art!! So...I found some tin cans, some bolts, some bottle caps...and found my stash of wires....and I was ready to go!
I have to say that while I had some idea on what I wanted to do, I also work with the concept of letting the "creation" have its say as it come about....so that's how "Hot" worked as well...
After the "gathering" step, I figured out where I needed to drill holes...some were to connect the head can to the body, the eyes to the head, the wire to the body parts...and his tail! I got that step done pretty quickly...experience in building the other members of the family paid off!
Drilling done, it was time to paint! Now... a dog named "Hot" just had to be red...so red it was!! This step took several days as I like to let lots of time pass in between coats of paint. I think I stopped after the third coat knowing I would have to do touch-ups later...
Finally! The time came to start putting the old boy together!! I always, always start with the eyes...'cause I want my creations to be able to see what's going on so they can give me input from the get-go. So...Hot's eyes came together first...riveting aren't they....
Then I attached his head to his front body section using a bolt and nut....didn't hurt a bit!
Using wire, I attached his back legs to the back body section. This did hurt...it took me several tries to get this to work...lots of unwiring and rewiring...tried using solder to secure them...didn't work. Tried glue...didn't work! In the end, I finally figured out how to tighten the wire on the inside...then it was time to put this aside until the next day! Sorry Hot!!
Front legs went on a little smoother...and Hot is starting to look like a dog!!!
Time to wire him together...after all...he is a wired terrier!! I used 18 gauge wire that I had pre-measured and bent before wiring the two body sections together. This step went smoothly...
Heating up the soldering iron, I soldered the wire bends together then started attaching the body rings to the back part. I found using forceps to be a big help as a "third hand" as I did this soldering!!
Back section done, I did the same for the front ring...and now he really is a wired terrier!!
A dog needs ears and a nose...so I gave him those!!! The ears are cut from a beer can (of course!) and the nose is an old game piece. Isn't he cute!!
And a tail...made from a piece of notebook coil painted red....
But before I could take Hot out into the world, he needed a collar and a name tag...and so it was...and so Hot - A Wired Terrier is done!!
I had a good time making this mutt...now we're in the throes of paper training...and he's winning!! Just shows what kind of attitude this dog has!!