September 21, 2010

Sister of Helen - Episode 3 or "Getting Rusty"


Ok! Now it's time to get her rusty!!! Using Sophisticated Finishes "Rust Antiquing Set" I first applied Iron Metallic Surfacer undercoat to small can which will become her head/face and to the large can which will be her body. My original plan was to apply just enough of the undercoat to give her a rusty appearance but letting the red show through...but as you can see, I got a little carried away! I didn't realize this until after the undercoat on the body had dried and then it was too late. But sometimes you just have to go with the flow and work with it....


I gave this step a couple of days to dry and set up. Then it was time to apply the "Rust Antiquing Solution" to the undercoat. This solution will "rust" most metals so I used a foam brush to put it on so I didn't have to worry about ruining one of my good brushes. The other thing to remember about this solution is that the "rusting" doesn't start right away so you have to put it on and then come back in a couple of hours or overnight to see what has happened. Somewhat magical in a way. Here's what the first application of the solution gave me....


When I took a look at this the next day, I decided that it needed to "rust" more on the back side...which isn't showing in this picture. So I applied more solution and went away....


And here is what the back side looked like the following day. Nice! So even though there isn't as much red showing through on her body, she does have a nice rusty look to her...like a woman who has been around and not afraid to show it....or something like that.

Next up, drilling holes in the forks and spoons and then....using the rivet gun to put "Sister of Helen" together! That will be in the next episodes...so stay tuned!


2 comments:

Seth said...

Looking mighty fine!

Dave said...

Thanks! She is almost done...I put her together last night...just some finishing touches to do. I'm going to put out another progress post tonight!